Pueblo County, Colorado Genealogy
Pueblo County, Colorado family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you track your Pueblo Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Pueblo County was founded on November 1, 1861 as one of the 17 original counties of the Territory of Colorado. The county was named after the historic town of Pueblo. Pueblo is a Spanish word meaning village or people..
The Pueblo County Seat is situated in Pueblo and the county government website is http://county.pueblo.org/
Places adjoining Pueblo County happen to be El Paso County (north), Lincoln County (northeast), Crowley County (east), Otero County (east), Las Animas County (south), Huerfano County (southwest), Custer County (west), Fremont County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Pueblo County include Avondale, Beulah Valley, Boone, Colorado City, Pueblo, Pueblo Springs Ranch, Pueblo West, Rye, Salt Creek, Vineland
Pueblo County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Pueblo Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Pueblo Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Pueblo Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Pueblo County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Pueblo County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Colorado Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Colorado State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Colorado Society of Hispanic Genealogy, 2300 South Patton Court, Denver, CO 80219-5212
- Southeastern Colorado Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1407, 100 E. Abriendo, Pueblo, CO 81004-4290
- Genealogical Society of Hispanic America, P.O. Box 3040, Pueblo, CO 81005
- Pueblo County Historical Society, 203 West "B" Street, Pueblo, CO 81003; (719) 543-6772
- Pueblo County, Colorado Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Pueblo County
- Pueblo County, Colorado Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Pueblo County
- USGenWeb Archives for Pueblo County (usgwarchives.net)
Pueblo County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Pueblo County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Colorado courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Colorado citizens. The chances are great that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Pueblo County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's dept to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or seeking information because of from time to time changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide men and women in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the man or women to undertake the researching.
The below facts denotes what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Pueblo County. The years suggested below tend to be the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Pueblo County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 320 W 10th St, Pueblo, CO 81003
- Phone: (719) 583-6507
- Pueblo County Clerk & Recorder is responsible for recording deeds, marriage licenses, issuing passports, titling and registering automobiles, issuing driver's licenses, registering voters, administering elections and maintaining records for the Board of County Commissioners.
- Marriage Records: 1860
- Land Records: 1861
- Pueblo County Clerk of Courts
- Probate Records: 1861
- Court Records: 1861
- Pueblo City-County Health Department
- Birth / Death Records: 1887–1901 / 1887–1907; Health Department
has early vital records not found at Colorado Department of Health.
- Colorado Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Colorado for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Colorado Historical Records
- Databases include Colorado Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Colorado Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Colorado Voter Lists & Census Records; Colorado Immigration & Emigration Records; Colorado Obituary Records; Colorado Military Records; Colorado Family Tree Records; Colorado Pictures; Colorado Stories, Memories & Histories; Colorado Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Pueblo County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Pueblo County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Pueblo County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Pueblo Co. CO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Pueblo Co. CO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Colorado
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Colorado Divorce Records, Various Sources 1851 - 2004 (archives.com) Various Public Records Sources
- Colorado Marriage Records 1975 - 2004 (archives.com) Colorado State Public Record Offices
- Colorado, Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Colorado Department of Health card index of divorces in Colorado from 1900-1939. The index is arranged in alphabetical order.
- Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Card index created by the Division of Vital Statistics, Department of Health in Colorado. The index is arranged alphabetically by groom's name providing county, names of husband and wife, age, race, date and place of marriage, certificate number.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Pueblo Co. CO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Pueblo Co. CO Census Records
Pueblo Co. CO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Pueblo Co. CO Church & Bible Records
Pueblo Co. CO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Pueblo Co. CO General and History Websites
Pueblo Co. CO Immigration & Naturalization
Pueblo Co. CO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Pueblo Co. CO Military Records
Pueblo Co. CO Schools & Directories
- Colorado City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Colorado. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.
- R.L. Polk & Co.'s Colorado Springs, Colorado City, and Manitou city directory, 1904-1905 (search.ancestry.com)
- R.L. Polk & Co.'s Pueblo city directory, 1899-1900Free
- R.L. Polk & Co.'s Pueblo city directory, 1904-1905 (search.ancestry.com)
- R.L. Polk Directory Co.'s Pueblo city directory, 1919 (search.ancestry.com)
- Polk's Pueblo (Colorado) city directory, 1930 (search.ancestry.com)
- The Colorado state business directory: 1876, 1879, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1887-8, 1889, 1890, 1894, 1896, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1903, 1906, 1909, 1910, 1920, 1921, 1923 (search.ancestry.com)