Washington County, Colorado Genealogy
Washington County, Colorado family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you track your Washington Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Washington County was founded on February 9, 1887 from Weld County. The county was named in honor of George Washington (1732 - 1799), the first President of the United States.
The Washington County Seat is situated in Akron and the county government website is http://www.co.washington.co.us/
Places adjoining Washington County happen to be Logan County (northeast), Yuma County (east), Kit Carson County, Lincoln County (southwest), Adams County (west), Arapahoe County (west), Morgan County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Washington County include Akron, Anton, Cope, Last Chance, Lindon, Otis, Woodrow
Washington County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Washington County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Colorado Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Washington County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Washington County court, probate, and land documents as a source of family history and genealogy details. Buried away in Colorado courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Colorado citizens. The chances are great that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least several aspects of their lives in the Washington County court records. Even if your forebears is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Please make sure to contact the clerk's dept to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or seeking information because of from time to time changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide men and women in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the man or women to undertake the researching.
The below facts denotes what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and courtroom records are located in Washington County. The years suggested below tend to be the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Washington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 26861 U.S. 34, Akron, CO 80720
- Phone: (970) 345-6565
- Washington County Clerk & Recorder is responsible for recording deeds, marriage licenses, issuing passports, titling and registering automobiles, issuing driver's licenses, registering voters, administering elections and maintaining records for the Board of County Commissioners.
- Marriage Records: 1887
- Land Records: 1872
- Washington County Clerk of Courts
- Probate Records: 1887
- Court Records: 1887
- Northeast Colorado Health Department
- Birth / Death Records: 1894–1911 at Vital statistics registrar.
- Colorado Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Colorado for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Colorado Historical Records
- Databases include Colorado Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Colorado Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Colorado Voter Lists & Census Records; Colorado Immigration & Emigration Records; Colorado Obituary Records; Colorado Military Records; Colorado Family Tree Records; Colorado Pictures; Colorado Stories, Memories & Histories; Colorado Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Washington County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Washington County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Washington County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Washington Co. CO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Washington Co. CO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Colorado
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995 (familysearch.org)
- Colorado Divorce Records, Various Sources 1851 - 2004 (archives.com) Various Public Records Sources
- Colorado Marriage Records 1975 - 2004 (archives.com) Colorado State Public Record Offices
- Colorado, Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Colorado Department of Health card index of divorces in Colorado from 1900-1939. The index is arranged in alphabetical order.
- Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 (familysearch.org) Card index created by the Division of Vital Statistics, Department of Health in Colorado. The index is arranged alphabetically by groom's name providing county, names of husband and wife, age, race, date and place of marriage, certificate number.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Washington Co. CO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Washington Co. CO Census Records
Washington Co. CO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Washington Co. CO Church & Bible Records
Washington Co. CO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Washington Co. CO General and History Websites
Washington Co. CO Immigration & Naturalization
Washington Co. CO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Washington Co. CO Military Records
Washington Co. CO Schools & Directories
- Colorado City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Colorado. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.
- The Colorado state business directory: 1876, 1879, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1887-8, 1889, 1890, 1894, 1896, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1903, 1906, 1909, 1910, 1920, 1921, 1923 (search.ancestry.com)